Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Get Legal Help with a Motor Vehicle Accident

Every day, millions of Americans get behind the wheel of their motor vehicles and drive. Americans drive to work, for leisure, and to run errands. Vehicles have become important for individuals to get around, especially when there aren’t any good public transportation options. With so many Americans on the road daily, it shouldn’t be a surprise that accidents happen. Accidents can vary. Their impact can range from minor property damage to serious injuries and massive property damage.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 2.3 million individuals were injured as a result from motor vehicle accidents in 2012. Chances are, you may have been involved in an accident already or know someone that has. This article provides information on obtaining legal help so that you can receive the proper compensation from an accident.

Have You or a Loved One Been Injured in a Motor Vehicle Accident?

Anyone who has been through a motor vehicle accident knows that it can be a traumatic experience. Whether the accident involved an car, motorcycle, or commercial vehicle, you have the right to take legal action against any person, company, or entity that is responsible -- including private citizens, stores, manufacturers, insurance companies, large corporations, and government agencies.

Legal Claims for Motor Vehicle Accident

A common legal claim in motor vehicle accidents is based on the law of negligence. This legal theory focuses on the conduct of the defendant. Individuals are required to operate their motor vehicles with reasonable care under the circumstances. If drivers fail to act with reasonable care, they may be considered negligent. For example, a defendant failing to stop at a “STOP” sign is negligent because he failed to follow traffic signs, which is unreasonable.

Another legal claim called “negligence per se” is based on the violation of state or federal laws. If the defendant’s harm was designed to be prevented by the statute, and the plaintiff was the class of people designed to be protected by the statute, the defendant may be liable for negligence per se. In other words, the defendant acted negligently because he violated the statute. For example, drunk driving is negligence per se because states have laws designed to prevent drunk driving and these laws were designed to protect the public.

How a Personal Injury Attorney Can Help

If you have suffered an injury because of someone else's carelessness, you should speak with an experienced personal injury attorney who will evaluate your case with you, to ensure that your legal rights are fully assessed and protected. An attorney can explain what you can expect at every step of your personal injury case, and will take action on your behalf -- researching the law, interviewing witnesses, collecting records, conferring with expert consultants, planning legal strategy, and negotiating with insurers and opposing counsel -- all with an eye toward strengthening your position and ensuring your fair recovery.

Involved in a Motor Vehicle Accident? An Attorney Can Help

If you've been injured in a car, motorcycle, or truck accident, it's always a good idea to consult with an attorney who's experienced in auto accident law before deciding on a course of action. That way, you'll understand the strength of your claim and the next steps involved. Call an experienced injury attorney located near you.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified auto accident attorney to make sure your rights are protected.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options